Chipping Norton lies southwest of Banbury in Oxfordshire, situated on the western slopes of a hillside that was once the site of a Norman castle. The parish church of St. Mary the Virgin was built on the hill next to the castle. It has one of the finest interiors among the great Cotswold churches and is well worth a visit.
Chipping Norton offers the visitor plenty of retail therapy including several antique shops and a wide selection of restaurants, Inns and Pubs.
William Bliss built the Bliss Tweed Mill in 1872. Designed by George Woodhouse, it looks like a cross between a mansion and a folly, rather than a late 19th century factory, having an unusual domed based chimney which is a landmark for Chipping Norton from miles about. The Mill finally closed in 1980 and has now been converted to luxury apartments.