Polgooth, meaning "Goose Pond", is a former tin mining village near St Austell in the south of Cornwall.
The earliest recorded mining in the village occurred in 1593 and by the eighteenth century Polgooth was celebrated as the "greatest tin mine in the world" and was the richest mine in the United Kingdom.
Many of the older buildings in the village were built from elvan stone quarried locally until the 1920s. Elvan is a name used in Cornwall and Devon for the native varieties of quartz-porphyry. Today the old count house survives, as does one of the old engine houses and a stamping mill plus several mining cottages, although these are now all private residences.